SQA Advanced Diploma in Computing
Gain full understanding of computing tools, techniques and practices across a wide range of application areas.
The SQA Advanced Diploma in Computing: Technical Support and AAS College provide learners with a progression route into employment.This SQA Advanced Diploma covers a range of specialist technical skills and knowledge in using and supporting computer systems.
It will give learners vocational and technical computing skills that will enable them to work in an IT-related role.
The course covers all the fundamental aspects of technical support, including in-depth knowledge of operating systems, networks, hardware, and software development — as well as professionalism, ethics and team working in computing.
The SQA Advanced Diploma in Computing: Technical Support award has a range ofaims relating to academic and vocational progression. The principal aim of the award is to prepare the candidates for employment in IT technical support. The general aims of this award are to:
- Develop candidates’ knowledge and skills in planning, developing and evaluating.
- Develop employment skills, particularly relating to the IT industry.
- Enable progression within the SCQF.
- Develop study and research skills.
- Develop learning and transferable skills (including Core Skills).
- Provide academic stimulus.
- Support candidates’ continuing professional development.
- Update the contents of the award to reflect current professional practices and technologies.
- Update the contents of the award to incorporate best practice in assessment, including a reduction in time spent on assessment and maximizing the use of e-assessment.
- Maximize flexibility (while maintaining coherence) in qualification design to permit centers to customize the award to their local needs.
- Reduce the academic level of the award (in terms of SCQF levels).
- Produce Units that are able to embrace external changes without regular updates.
More specific aims of the award are:
- Produce Units that are compatible with a wide range of vendors.
- Prepare learners for employment in an IT or Computing post at technician or professional level in a technical support role.
- Equip learners with a range of specialist technical support skills and knowledge in the use and support of computer systems.
- Prepare learners for progression to further study on HE Computing courses.
- Develop in learners an awareness of professional IT issues such as legal and ethical considerations.
Lectures, Tutorials, Study packs, Problem-based scenarios, Case studies, Group/team work, Online materials, IT based teaching materials, Projects, Quizzes, Research and presentation, of findings to fellow students, Role play, Short-response questions, multiple choice questions, Create questions for other students (with answers), etc.
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates are able to move into a wide variety of areas within the Computing/IT industry. The SQA Advanced Diploma in Computing: Technical Support is designed to lead to employment as:
- IT Support or operations technician
- Computer installation and maintenance engineer
- IT user support technicians
- Network Support administrator
- IT and Telecoms engineer/IT and Telecoms technician
Programme at a glance
SQA Advanced Diplomas are made up of 240 SCQF credit points, at SCQF level 8, and usually take two years to complete
Developing Software: Introduction
Professionalism and Ethics in Computing
Computer Systems Fundamentals
Troubleshooting Computer Problems
Team Working in Computing
SQA Advanced Diploma in Computing: Graded Unit 1 (Exam)
Client Operating Systems
Computer Networks: Building Local Area Networks
Mathematics for Computing 1
Computing: Introduction to Project Management
Technical Support: Supporting Users: Hardware
Technical Support: Supporting Users: Software
Software Development: Programming Foundations
Network Server Operating Systems
Network Technology and Data Communications
Providing Technical Support to Users
Open Source Operating Systems: Introduction to Command Line Administration
Open Source Operating Systems: Basic Server Administration
Managing a Web Server
SQA Advanced Diploma in Computing: Technical Support Graded Unit 2 (Project)
Diploma to Degree — a pathway to university and further study
SQA Advanced Qualifications do not just qualify for career development they can also enable advanced entry into many undergraduate degree programmes in universities and Higher Education Institutions across the world.
Learners can study in their own country before progressing onto universities in their own country, region or abroad to complete a degree, entering directly into third year. This option can be a cost effective route to studying abroad and achieving a degree at an international Higher Education Institution.
We make this journey as smooth as possible through our Diploma to Degree programme. SQA has collaborated and set up articulation agreements with a number of highly regarded international institutions in countries such as the UK, USA, Australia, Canada and New Zealand covering various progression models including online delivery.
These institutions recognise the SQA Advanced Diploma for advanced entry and provide students with a quality learning experience.
Entry to the Programme will require:
- High School Diploma and transcript
- Minimum requirement of a proficiency level of English Language equivalent to IELTS 6 or TOEFL 550
- AAS Application Form completed